Have you ever had a time in your life when you made a very important decision based upon what you thought you should do not what you wanted to do? We all have, right? I’ll never forget when I was about to graduate college and I had to make one of these life changing decisions. My roommate, Crystal, and I had planned, prepared and paid for a trip to Jamaica to celebrate together. We were both looking forward to it and could hardly wait. We just had to wait for graduation and then we were gone!!!
I was as graduating as a Fitness Specialist from Cal Poly in an up and coming field (in the 80’s LOL). Right before graduation, I received a phone call that a friend of the family had referred me and set up an interview with a business owner who was launching a new fitness center! The interview was the next day!
I went on the job interview! (I had been referred by a friend and I didn’t want to let them down.) I was given the job of manager on the spot, and told that I was to start immediately. I went with it. I did what I was supposed to do, not at all what I wanted to do. Crystal went on that trip to Jamaica and had an amazing time. I went to work!
I wished that I could’ve started when we got back from Jamaica, but I did not have the voice to stand up for myself or my desires. At that time, I don’t think that my 24 year old self even knew she had a choice!
Can you relate at all?
My mindset was one of:
- Do what’s right, not what you want.
- Life is supposed to be hard.
- Play it safe.
- Be practical and sensible.
- Be dependable.
- Do what others want and expect of you.
- Be reasonable and conventional.
- The obvious answer is to take the job.
- Do the familiar.
- Use common sense.
- It’s ok to settle – everybody does.
- This is what you do best, so do it.
- Life isn’t supposed to be fair.
- You can’t have it all.
- Work hard.
- Be content.
I made this decision from a mindset based upon FEAR.
So, what is mindset anyway?
According to the Oxford Dictionary, mindset is “the established set of attitudes held by someone.”
And, our attitudes are based upon our beliefs and our beliefs are simply thoughts that we continue to think over and over.
So, why at the age of 24 was my thinking established “inside of the box”? I was thinking the way I had been brought up to believe. These beliefs were instilled in me from birth on! My mindset (and yours) was established by our parents, grandparents, teachers and society!
Now, at the age of 60, that mindset is a DISTANT memory! Thank goodness!
Today, my mindset is one of endless possibilities and opportunities based in FAITH NOT fear.
This mindset is one of:
- Allowing life to happen.
- Not being logical.
- Ease and fun.
- Desires lead me and faith pulls me in.
- Believing in myself.
- Risk taking.
- Believing in unseen forces.
- Following intuition.
- Passion and energy.
- Scary and uncomfortable are ok.
- Failing leads to success.
- Inviting in what I want and desire.
- Positive inspired actions only.
- Being in energetic flow.
- Being vulnerable and willing to try new things.
- Knowing that success is certain.
- Seeking out the truth and new perspectives.
- Self discovery.
- Receiving new gifts and talents.
- Finding creative solutions.
- Accepting coincidences as alignment.
You Can Change!
So how do you go from a mindset of fear to faith, from playing it safe to taking risks, from practical to possibilities, from what others want you to do to pursuing your own dreams!
It starts by opening your heart up to yourself! You must love yourself! You must know that you are worthy and YOU are! You must have faith in yourself and know that every answer you are seeking is inside of you.
You can have a massive mindset transformation if you accomplish these 12 things. Now, it’s not like you can check these things off this list quickly. It’s not like a to-do list. It’s a relearning list! It takes courage and relearning and continued self discovery.
12 Steps To Transformation!
The 12 Steps are:
- Acknowledge where you are right now in your life. Yes, you create your own reality! It is true! Here is an exercise to get you started! You’re going to rate yourself based on your current personal satisfaction in each of these areas. On a scale from 1-10 one being the lowest and 10 being the highest-you are going to rate yourself based on your personal satisfaction in these areas-do not compare yourself to others. 1. Physical health and well-being, 2. Emotional well-being, 3. Intellectual wellbeing, 4. Spiritual wellbeing, 5. Time and financial freedom, and 6. Energetically. Do you have the energy to access your dreams? Can you accept these results as being your creation?
- Become acutely aware of your thoughts and feelings. You must understand that your thoughts create your feelings (your thoughts + feelings are your attitude). Your feelings create your actions and your actions create your results. Your awareness of your thoughts is the foundation to everything else that follows. I highly recommend that you read the book As a Man Thinketh by James Allen.
- Release and let go of old stories and paradigms that no longer serve you. I love this quote by Roy T. Bennett. He says, “The past is a pace of reference, not a place of residence; the past is a place of learning, not a place of living.” Let the past go and be present in the now. NOW is all that matters!
- Practice being quiet and listen! All of the answers are inside of you so listen! Simply set your phone timer for 5 minutes and ask “Who am I?” When I first did this I received answers for 90 days. Once you have clarity ask, “What do I really want? Then, you can ask “What would I really love? Finally, ask, “What are my gifts or talents that I’m to bring to the world?”
- Practice forgiveness daily. Forgive everyone! Dr. Joseph Murphy wrote “Forgiveness of others is essential to mental peace and radiant health. You must forgive everyone who has ever hurt you if you want perfect health and happiness.”
- Once you’ve completed #1-5, it is up to you to make a decision. You must decide between growth and expansion vs safety and comfort. It’s completely up to you! You must decide! Are you ready for a transformation? Abraham Maslow said that “You will either step into growth or you will step back into safety.” What are you going to do? What are you waiting for?
- Now, you must make another conscious decision. You must choose faith over fear. They both believe in something that you can not see. It’s your choice. When you choose faith over fear you will immerse yourself in learning and study to promote your own understanding. Dr. Robert A. Russell wrote, “There is nothing that you cannot be if you have Faith enough to accept the fact what you are seeking is already yours.”
- Practice and experience profound gratitude daily. Watch this video and you’ll understand. https://youtu.be/cpkEvBtyL7M
- Albert Einstein said, “Everything is energy.” Nikola Tesla said, “If you want to find the secrets of the universe, think in terms of energy, frequency, and vibration.” You must understand that you are a vibrational being and this is a vibrational universe.
- Learn to trust your intuition. If you listen, your inner voice will guide you! It knows everything.
- Using your imagination, have a crystal clear vision of what you desire. James Allen wrote, “People do not attract that which they want, but that which they are.” So, the real question here is WHO do you need to become to attract what you want?
- Once you have a clear vision of what you want and who you need to become to attract it, pursue your dream by taking inspired action only. This transformation is to be fun and joyful and full of adventure!
When you complete the 12 steps, your mindset will have been magically transformed. No longer will you be stuck in old beliefs, trying to make others happy by working hard and doing what others expect of you!
Now, you will be transformed into a passionate energetic person who knows that everything is always working out for them! You will have a clear vision of what you desire and you will have new attitude! You will be following your intuition and doors will open to endless opportunities!
Congratulations! You have challenged the status quo!
Seriously, if you are ready to learn more, you can take my free course ‘Dare to Dream’. It’s an introduction to my complete transformational course, Live a Life You Love, Now!
If you are sick and tired of your current position in life and you want a complete mindset transformation, then let me guide and mentor you in my course ‘Live a Life you Love, Now!’ If you are willing to dedicate at least 20-30 minutes a day for a month, then you will succeed! You will be transformed and you will be a changed person! If not, then you get your money back! Guaranteed!
Every Wednesday, I host a weekly Zoom call called ‘Thrive at Five’. I’m here to answer all your questions and guide you throughout your journey. But, remember, you have to do the work!
To learn more you can schedule a call with me here – https://calendly.com/thriveflourishgrow/call-with-beth
Or, to register for either course, go to www.learning.thriveflourishgrow.com
You are worthy of living a life you love! You are more powerful than you know! Now is the time to decide! YOU can and will determine your own mindset! Which one will you choose?